Followers

Monday, January 12, 2009

Think What You Want

No, you have not clicked onto the wrong blog. Meet the newest member of the Smart household, Max. Or as Finley likes to call him, Maxey. I stand firm behind my decision. I will not be swayed. We are already attached to him. This was Slade's 6th birthday gift-a tad bit early. He is a four week old Dumbo Rat.

Let me explain my reasoning. It's quite a funny story actually. We, being myself, Brandi, Campbell, Slade, and Finley set out on Friday afternoon looking for a hamster. Evidently the "in-rodent" is a dwarf hamster. I just wanted a regular hamster like I had as a kid. If you know anything about rodents, a dwarf hamster is about as quick as bolt of lightening! We would have kept up with it for five minutes and then we would have had a fugitive. No way could the kids catch a dwarf hamster. Onto the second pet store and we ran into the same. Dwarf hamsters. Found a cute one that looked slower, but it might be pregnant the pet store lady informed me. Hence the slowness. Does anyone possess a normal sized hamster these days? Upon further investigation, we discovered that the hamster we were looking for is called a "teddy bear" hamster. They sent us to Walter's World of Pets. If you have ever been in there, you know that these folks are SERIOUS about animals. Finley was terrified-parrots, boas, lemurs and just about any other kind of species imaginable. Bingo! We found one teddy bear hamster. We'll actually, he was a Panda Bear Hamster. The end of the story. Nope. Read on........................

This hamster was just the size of the hamster that I remember. I go to pick up this lovely little rodent and it freaks out, jumps at me, tries to bite, and actually hisses. I mean who knew a hamster could HISS! I looked at the pet store guy and he was like, "yeah, we can't seem to sell him-too much attitude." I told him I didn't think this was the hamster for us. He asked if I had ever considered a rat for a pet. Ummm NO, I don't think so!!!! Sewer rat came to mind. His arguments were quite compelling to say the least.
1. Rats are much smarter that hamsters.
2. They have better depth perception and will not jump to their deaths like a hamster. (Could be important information with a six year old as your owner)
3. They are slow-unlike the lightening bolt dwarf hamsters.
4. They very rarely will ever bite.
5. Low maintenance-no vet, and you can leave them for the weekend.
6. They live 3-5 years(could be shorter with my two kids), so you aren't committed for say, twenty years.
I would say he was a rat expert. Wouldn't you?
So we arrived home three hours after our adventure began with Max, taped into a box that had a screen for oxygen, a cage and all the needed accessories to make a rat's life happy, and three bags of food from McDonald's (the food was for us). Not to worry.....................we washed our hands!
Some, well actually, most of the people we tell are repulsed. I may have lost some people for future playdates. But, in all honesty, we are all taking quite kindly to Max. He is sweet and calm and really furry. He is black and white with this little white tuft of hair on his head, not grey like a mouse in your trap. Campbell loves him. Brandi really loves him-he feel asleep cuddled in her jacket. I think he loves us too. It was either us or ending up in the belly of that big boa at Walter's World of Pets. Rats, no problem. Give me a spider and I'll be creeped out and have nightmares. Go figure. I firmly stand by my decision!!!! And yes, Kyle is alright with it. He just doesn't touch it unless absolutely necessary . And just so you'll know, all four pics are of Max. I did not photograph the "Hisser"-he is still making all the other hamster's lives miserable at Walter's World. I would be willing to bet that he will grow old in that store!!!
If you know the Smart's, you know there is always, always a story.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you insane!?!?! How big does this Max get? We had a guinea pig once and it was nasty. A rat? Really girl. Did motherhood take your brain? In the first pic he looks a little scary with the human hands and all. You never cease to amaze me. You are such a good sport. I hope you all enjoy the newest member of the family. Tell Kyle he can stay with us if he needs to. Love you all and welcome Max.(what does Cita think)
Pam

The Boyd Gang said...

Great choice....we have some friends that have rats and they are wonderful. They develop a real personality and my kids just loved them. They are good escape artist so beware!!

Tracy said...

Eeeewwww.

I'm going to take the girls over to your house the next time I tell them about things that might be in the alley...

No, really. You are a good sport and I'm looking forward to more Max stories. :-)

Anonymous said...

What do you mean, what does Cita think--I was raised on a ranch and had a pet javelina, baby deer, lambs, goats etc. I still live on a ranch and the girls had animals when thay were at home--come on Pam what is the to do over a little mouse!! I guess this means that you won't mouse baby sit? Cita

Anonymous said...

Girl Ali has a pet rat named Lenny. He is a fancy rat. He is a BIG rat! People freak out and automatically think Swer rat with big pink eyes.. He is the cutest sweetest thang! He is a wonderful pet! I think Max is adorable! Stephen thought I had lost my mind because he said that he spent most of his time trying to trap them and we initially bring one home!

Heather

Anonymous said...

Ok I need to proof read better..
Swer= Sewer
and Initially = Intentionally =)

Jerilynn said...

I had rats in my classroom and they are awesome pets. They are so mild mannered and sweet. They are also awake during the day which is a huge benefit to kids. I think you made a great choice. Just don't make the mistake I made and accidentally get a boy and a girl.(thought I had 2 brothers)) Yikes - serious inbreeding problem...before I even knew a problem existed.

Jerilynn said...

Hey - I posted back to you on my blog. Ü