Followers

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Handy Work

I had to show some of my handy work that I did last week. Not that anyone else will care too much, but I'm way proud of these tops we made for the bookshelf and computer desk in Slade's room. We took his bunk beds apart and the two pieces of furniture no longer had a top since they held the bed. So Kyle got me a thick wooden board and I sprayed adhesive on and attached batting(not sure how to spell that) and then I cover it with material. The other one is red. We liquid nailed in on, so they will probably stay that color forever, but at least Slade can't knock the tops off! I felt like I was on an episode of Trading Spaces. That is sooo something that they would do!!!!
I bought a silver light plate, but instead decided to decoupage the old one. My friend, Tandy, gave me some really cute scrapbook paper so I cut the sheet all up and stuck some of the cutest pieces on there. Cost-absolutely free!

This shelf had four paper squares that were trucks and planes. Too little boyish for my big boy, so again, I decoupaged. Slade is a U.S. map nerd and this was some cute paper from Tandy, as well. I cut it to fit each of the four squares. The paper has cute little state things on it like the state bird, etc. He loved it! I also made another light switch plate for his closet out of the rest of this paper. I'll bet you a smooth hundred that Slade can name more state capitals than you!!!!
I have three things I need to remember from today..............................
1. That I love it when Finley says "Lello" for yellow. Kyle will ask what color something is just to hear her say "lello".
2. That Slade will never accept the fact that we have two McAlister's Deli Restaurants in Lubbock now. Every time he comes home and sees me with a cup from there, he asks, "Did you go to Midland today?"
3. That Finley walked up with her play dough design and said, "This looks wonderful, mom."


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did an outstanding job on his room!! And the tops you put on look great. I was very impressed. I think I'm going to hire you and Pedro for a few things that need to be done around here!! Slade and Finley are lucky to have such a wonderful mom! And I'm pretty lucky to have such a wonderful sister!! Great job!!!

Brandi

The Boyd Gang said...

You are so crafty. Love the room. What did you use to make the paper stick on the shelf and light plate?

Anonymous said...

I am still waiting for you to come to my house and paint. You know I can handle the modge-podge on my own. ;)
Have a great day.
Ironic that you hate the color Lellow. Now what do you think about it?
Pam