Followers

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Happy Birthday, Slade!

My firstborn is 6 today! I cannot believe that he has been here for six years, and yet we don't remember life without him. On my 25th birthday, we went in for my sonogram and found out he was a boy. Dr. Lampkin asked what I thought it was, and I said boy. I was right-mother's instinct maybe. The day I had him, I had been on bedrest for a month. I was scheduled to be induced on Monday, the 20th and had gone into the office the Monday before. Dr. Lampkin was gone, but the nurse checked me and said to go to the hospital in a week for induction. Later they called me back and told me the doctor wanted to see me once more before the 20th, so to come in on Friday. When I went in to the office that morning, my blood pressure was creeping up and he checked me-he was breech!! I had been telling them all month because I could feel his head in my rib cavity! Dr. Lampkin was leaving to go out of town, but sent us immediately over to the hospital. He said let's just do it today before he left and we could quit worrying about the blood pressure and now he was breech. I was just ecstatic that I wasn't giving birth to a breech baby-thank goodness for sonograms! I told him my mom was going to be really mad at him because she was four hours away and I was going in to have a csection now!!! Evidently he doesn't plan csections around grandmothers! I had to call Shauna to bring me my things from home. My sister was on her way to Amarillo and had to turn around and come back. It all was so quick, I didn't have time to get horribly nervous. So Landon Slade Smart was born at 12:44 pm and weighed 7.7 and was 20 inches. He was only 37 1/2 weeks, so he probably would have packed on a few more pounds if he was a forty-weeker! One of the three best days of my life!

And little did my sister know that five years to the date, she would be giving birth to Campbell Grace Beeler at 4-something in the afternoon on the 17th. Pretty cool! Happy 1st Birthday, Campbell!

1 comment:

Jerilynn said...

Happy Birthday Slade! I want to hear about your party. You always have such fun big parties. I hope your Mom will post some pictures of your fun day and of Campbell's too! Ü
P.S. The pilot spelled his name exactly like Chesley's - I think. Isn't that neat.