Followers

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Twas the Night.........










(Sorry-the spacing would absolutely not cooperate here, ugggg!)
Twas the night before Mother's Day, and all through the house
Just one creature was stirring, but it wasn't the mouse.
The soccer socks were hung over the brown kitchen chair
In hopes that he might find them so to the game he could wear.
The children were nestled all snug in the beds
On the same sheets that were puked only minutes after being fed
Though poor mom had to wash them, using Dawn and the tap
She was secretly happy that it was on the sheets, not her lap.
Just starting to pay bills, there arose such a clatter
Mom jumped over laundry, shoes, and backpacks to see what was the matter!
Into the laundry room she ran like a flash
The wet towels were off balance, that darn machine she could just bash!
Slade needed money in his backpack, Max's water was low
Finley had cut a million pieces of paper that covered the floor like fresh fallen snow.
When what to mom's wondering eyes should appear
Kyle's ink pen left in the laundry was her immediate fear.
After bleaching and throwing away ink stained clothes, Mom wasn't merry
But she soon remembered that Slade was expecting a visit from the tooth fairy.
Looking through wallets, drawers, piggy banks and such
Mom stashed the loot under his pillow without moving it much!
Loading the dishwasher, checking the mail
Wondering when exactly her boobs finally fell?
She needed to wash the makeup off of her tired face
Her night just beginning, feeling like she was running a race.
Lots to do tomorrow-music class, soccer, getting to the gym
Hoping she might exercise the cellulite off her limb.
Looking for recipes in hopes of cooking tomorrow night
But secretly wishing McDonalds nutrition was healthy and right.
She spoke not a word, but kept doing her chores
As the rest of the family dreamed happily with snores
Mom needs no recognition, not a paycheck with money
Just every now and then, some flowers and to be called "honey"
Mom sometime feels overwhelmed, crabby and mad
And the never-ending work makes her sometimes sad
She hopes she's taught her kids well, loved them enough
The parts that come with being a mom are sometimes rough.
But she walked into her room, where all three had snuck into the same bed
They were snuggled together, blankets pulled high, only showing their heads
Mom's heart swelled with pride as she saw this sweet sight
Happy Mother's Day to all, and to all a good night!


I'm stealing this sweet little idea from my friend at Over the Hedge. I thought it was appropriate for today. In honor of the best Mom I know..............
MY MOM IS


My Mom is the one who rushed into the hospital right after I had my first child by cesarean and asked about me first.



My Mom is the one that listens to me gripe about all my ailments, life's woes, and problems and never acts like she doesn't want to hear it.



My Mom is the one who will leave you $20-just to make your grocery store trip a little easier.



My Mom is the one who has kept all my ceramic art pieces and still proudly displays each one as if was a Picasso.



My Mom is the one who saved all my dance costumes just in case she had a granddaughter one day that would like to play dress-up in them.



My Mom is the one who sat up all night with my five day old newborn and held the little goggles on his eyes when he was under the Bilirubin lights for jaundice and I was too tired.



My Mom is the one that has been there for me through prom dresses, doctors, birthday parties, pink jean jackets, dorm rooms, weddings, vacations, paint jobs, throw-up, school programs, recitals, egg hunts, pageants, pompoms, wisdom teeth, camps, blood, sweat, and many tears.



Thanks, Mom! I couldn't have done it without you, nor would I have wanted to. Have a good one! I hope everyone reading this has either loved, known, been, or will become a MOM!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

O.K. you made me and Minnie teary! Thank you!!! Your a good daughter--by the way you need to come home Memorial week-end as I think Finley is big enough for the dance costumes and I have the trunk in the house!!Mom

Jerilynn said...

This was really beautiful. Our Moms are very similar as mothers and grandmothers - we are sooo lucky!

Beth said...

Great post -- now I know why I check your blog compulsively! I can't wait to join the "mom ranks" on Wednesday!!!