Followers

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Chapstick Anyone?

I check a blog periodically to see how these people are doing. They lost a baby girl just days shy of her first birthday in March. She was born with a heart condition and her name was Gracie. I found out today that her kidneys went to a 49 year old woman in California. Wow! What a selfless gift of life they gave in their time of tremendous grief. I don't check the blog every day because it makes me too sad, but this what she wrote today.

I Want..............
I want to hold my baby.I want to give her kisses.I want to give her a bath.I want to change her diaper.I want to wash her clothes.I want to hear her cry.I want to make her smile.I want to see her play with her toys.I want her to do her cute little 'look away' when I see her.I want to say 'Who's that pretty girl over there!' to her one more time.I want to fluff her hair.I want to see her 12 little teeth.I want to refill her medication.I want another picture of her.I want to turn on Dora the Explorer for her.I want to bring her to the next family party.I want to see her light up when you give her her chapstick.I want to see the pure love on her face when she cuddles up to her blankie.I want to hear her whine for me when she sees me.I want to see my kids with her again.Just one more time...................



The whole entry really made me stop in my tracks today. Wow, the little things we take for granted. I couldn't believe it when she wrote that she wanted to "refill her medication"! I mindlessly pull through CVS, pouting at what the copay is going to be. I grimace at one more episode of Dora-I get so sick of cartoons. How many times do you dread the laundry and infamous stain removal? Moms, can you imagine your wash without those sweet pink socks or stinky, grassy, size two cotton socks. What if your television was always on only the news or Oprah and you never heard the words, "Up next, It's Dora the Explorer!" Can you remember the last time you pulled through the pharmacy drive-thru and didn't ask for an extra syringe to put their pink liquid antibiotics in? How quiet life would be. It's just the small, insignificant things that I take for granted. Please don't let me do this. I want to put those ever-so-tiny clear rubber bands in her hair and spike his with the blue sticky gel!

I really hope Finley asks for some chapstick today-and this time, I will sincerely say, YES!!!

3 comments:

Jerilynn said...

I know what you mean about perspective. I have actually decided to stop reading blogs that are sad for awhile. I hope that doesn't sound insensitive. It isn't that I don't care....I do. However, I also think it is ok to sometimes just exist in your present world. I just needed a break. It seemed every blog I clicked on had a heartbreaking link. Just couldn't take it anymore....

Crystal said...

We are truly blessed to have happy, healthy children. I thank God every day for my boys because reading some of those blogs really puts things in perspective.

Anonymous said...

Yes we are blessed. I am truly blessed and I am not going to complain today about watching Bob the Builder or evne him crying for me to hold. Mothers need to be reminded more about the little things. Thank you for sharing.