Followers

Friday, February 24, 2012

Healthy Recipe

I realize that my iphone doesn't take beautiful food photos, but it's the best I could do! I just wanted to share my very healthy lunch we had today. Isn't everyone trying to eat healthy this time of year???

I've been meaning to make these all week, and I finally had time today. First of all, kale is like one of the best foods on Earth to eat. It's like super duper x 10 healthy. I've attempted kale chips before but they didn't turn out well. Today they were perfect. They were crunchy and yummy. Now, listen, don't be thinking you're gonna be making homemade Doritos or Lays. They are not from the Frito Lay company. But, if you are trying to eat less carbs and need a crunch and want to get some super vitamins and such, these are pretty darn good. Gunnar liked them. My husband wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole, but he also considers dipping Lays in mustard a delicacy. If you are feeling crazy, try them. Try them, try them, you will see! Sorry I had a Green Eggs and Ham moment.

Kale Chips
1 large bunch kale
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt or any kind of seasoning salt
parchment paper

Rinse your kale and remove the stem, tear the leaves into little bite sized pieces. Stem is bad, leaves are good. Now, here's where you must not mess up. The kale needs to be dry before you cook it. It turns brown if you roast it wet(my first mistake). Shake about 1 tbsp oil on the leaves and mash it all up with your hands. You just want all the leaves a tiny bit oily, but don't go overboard with the evoo. Put the leaves on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly, lightly season the leaves(my second mistake, I over salted them). A little goes a long way. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. I actually baked mine at 400 for about 12 minutes. You will want to test them after about 10 minutes and see what degree of crispiness you prefer. At 10 minutes, you get crunchy-chewy. At 15 you get really really crispy. Enjoy, and pretend you are eating a big fat Cheeto. Do you like them in a boat, do you like them with a goat?????

This recipe, I basically made up. I read a few recipes and took pieces from about 3. Really healthy, really tasty, and much better than a Lean Cuisine for lunch! I have no name for this so call it what you may. And just so you know, I'm not a big measurement person so these are my best judgments of how much. You might want to add more or less of some ingredients, depending on your taste.

1 cup Quinoa, rinsed
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
4 small uncooked chicken breast, diced
1 bunch raw broccoli
1 zucchini
1/4 c. slivered almonds
1/2 lemon
extra virgin olive oil
garlic salt or seasoning salt (Lowry's) or Greek seasoning
fresh Parmesan cheese

Rinse your quinoa and combine with the broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 12-15 minutes till your liquid absorbs. In a skillet, add raw diced chicken, broccoli, zucchini, juice from your half of a lemon, and some olive oil. Cook on medium till your chicken starts to have that sauteed look and is fully cooked. Turn down your heat, add a splash of broth, your seasoning (I seasoned about mid way through the chicken cooking process), and your almonds. Serve on top of quinoa with some grated Parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

Mandi Watts said...

I have been wanting to try kale chips for a while, and your post has pushed me over the edge. I will definitely try them soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe.